The SSPH+ Global PhD Fellowship Program in Public Health Sciences funded by Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (Horizon 2020 - COFUND)
GlobalP3HS is an innovative Swiss doctoral program designed to competitively recruit exceptionally talented students from all over the world. Young scientists interested in proposing, learning, and performing cutting-edge research in public health sciences and keen to become the next generation of public health leaders in both the academic and non-academic sector, are invited to apply for one of, in total, 50 doctoral fellowships of up to 42 months in duration.
GlobalP3HS students will be under the supervision of one of some 160 public health faculty members affiliated with an SSPH+ partner university who cover a broad range of disciplines. Students will enroll at their supervisor’s university and register in one of several structured PhD programs led by SSPH+ Faculty members. They will choose courses from a wide range of interdisciplinary offers, including health economics, public health, epidemiology, social health sciences, nursing or law. Students must pass at least 18 ECTS, including formal training in transferable skills and research ethics. Furthermore, internships are offered to allow students to explore non-academic career paths as part of the PhD career as well.
Particularly welcomed and encouraged are applications by women and applications under the "sandwich model". The sandwich model is a successful model to build sustainable research capacity in low and middle income countries (LMICs). It includes a LMIC partnership for the PhD thesis, shared supervision, fieldwork and/or research stays in the LMIC. In case of equally scoring candidates, applications by women and applications under the sandwich model will be favored.
Call for applications
There will be 3 calls aiming at selecting a total of 50 excellent PhD students:
- Call 1: Opens on Monday, 2 July 2018 and closes on Friday, 12 October 2018; possible PhD start in December 2018
- Call 2: Opens on Monday, 3 December 2018 and closes on Friday, 1 February 2019; possible PhD start in April 2019
- Call 3: Opens on Monday, 1 April 2019 and closes on Friday, 28 June 2019; possible PhD start in October 2019 > Decision notification: August 30, 2019
GlobalP3HS supports gender equality and strongly encourages females to apply.
Dr. Marion Schulze
Useful links for application
- GlobalP3HS online application platform
- SSPH+ Faculty members as potential supervisors
- Overview of structured PhD programs led by SSPH+ partners
- SSPH+ course platform
- 1st Call closed on 12 October 2018
- 2nd Call closed on 1 February 2019
- 3rd Call closed on 28 June 2019
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 801076.